Tuesday, May 05, 2015

The family of Fr Niall Molloy is taking a case for ‘neglect of duty’ against the Gardaí for failing to properly investigate the death of the Roscommon priest 30 years ago. Relatives of the murdered priest are poised to make a complaint to the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) over serious shortcomings in the initial 1985 investigation, which they have described as “botched” and “shambolic”. The decision comes in the wake of the McGinn report published just over a month ago, which highlighted a series of shortcomings in the initial Garda investigation. The shortcomings were identified by the Garda’s own Serious Crime Review Team, which re-examined the unsolved killing of the 52-year-old cleric between 2010 and 2013. In a media statement relatives of the priest said the failure of Gardaí to investigate the case properly could not now be ignored. “We have carefully considered the findings of the McGinn report and the serious shortcomings identified in the initial Garda investigation, which we believe cannot now be ignored by the Garda Ombudsman,” Henry McCourt, a nephew of Fr Molloy’s, said. “The McGinn report has only confirmed our long held opinion that the initial investigation in 1985 was botched at best and we intend to make a complaint for neglect of duty to the Garda Ombudsman,” he added. It will not be the first time for the Molloy family to make a complaint to GSOC. Family members were previously advised that they were outside the permitted time period to make a complaint. This time, however, the family believes that the McGinn findings arm them with certain new facts to take a case against Gardai. In the meantime the family is also considering what other options remain open to them, including taking a case to the European Court for Human Rights. Fr Niall Molloy

Comments are closed.

More Roscommon News

Isabelle’s banana bread rises to the top