Monday, November 06, 2017

Michael Glavey's 0-19


Bohola Moy Davitts 1-15

Stephen Comer and Conor Hussey celebrate Glavey’s success against Bohola Moy Davitts on Sunday last. Picture: Michael McCormack



The type of game that would have left us breathless in the height of summer, never mind on a chilly afternoon in November. Glavey’s eventually fell over the line after a pulsating encounter, proving to themselves that they’re primed to deliver on the provincial stage.

Mayo teams have held a vice-like grip on this competition in Connacht this decade, so for Glavey’s to edge out a battle-hardened Moy Davitts side spoke volumes about the progress they’ve made in such a relatively short space of time.

In less than two weeks’ time, a serious opportunity will appear on the horizon when they tackle Galway champions Claregalway in Dr. Hyde Park. Deep down, Glavey’s will fancy their chances. The West Roscommon side have scoring power, and to hit 0-19 at this time of year will only fuel the belief that county success can be translated into something more meaningful.

But Glavey’s need to realise that they could just have easily have lost this match. Brian Reape had the chance to force extra time during the game’s dying embers. With 1-8 in his bank account, a pretty straightforward free, by his standards, looked destined to tie the match after Glavey’s had seemingly been the authors of their own downfall by needlessly coughing up possession in defence. Incredibly, the Moy Davitts full-forward pulled his effort to the right of goal well wide, and Glavey’s were let off the hook.

Up to that point, the helter-skelter nature of proceedings left the exercise of trying to predict a winner pointless. Both sides enjoyed periods of dominance. It’s just that Glavey’s made the most of theirs.

In this regard, Andy Glennon was magnificent. He gave Moy Davitts full-back Ronan Healy a torrid time, winning frees that he and Stephen Comer converted. Whenever Glavey’s attacked, they utilised their big target man with maximum impact. Cathal Heneghan also delivered another virtuous performance, dancing his way around defenders and sneaking out of tackles.

Captain Conor Hussey was also excellent, landing a few “big hits” when Glavey’s needed to be inspired during Moy Davitts’ periods of dominance. Caoileann Fitzmaurice did many really good things, including preventing a certain goal in the first half and kicking two excellent scores from play, but his passing needs to be more consistent.

Iain Daly’s side lay down an early marker with points from Comer (a free) and Glennon. Reape opened Moy Davitts’ account from a free before Cathal Heneghan’s superb diagonal ball found Conor Hussey in space, and the captain duly bisected the posts in the eighth minute.

But Alan Bourke’s ninth minute point demonstrated how Moy Davitts were making headway when they ran at the heart of the Glavey’s defence. Then Reape set up midfielder Padraig Ruane for the equaliser barely a minute later.

Darren O’Malley’s 13th minute ’45 restored Glavey’s lead before two Glennon points stretched out the margin to three points. Any hint of Glavey’s putting daylight between the teams coaxed Moy Davitts into action and a brilliant long-range point from midfielder James Mulderrig was quickly followed by Reape’s third free of the afternoon.

Glavey’s made a significant statement before the break, hitting four points in succession from Hussey, Glennon, Comer (a free) and Fitzmaurice to open up a 0-10 to 0-5 lead after 28 minutes. But the last two points of the half belonged to Moy Davitts as Reape (a free) and Brian Heneghan left their side trailing by 0-10 to 0-7 at the interval.

Fitzmaurice made a spectacular start to the new half, grabbing the throw-in with one hand, holding off a couple of challenges before landing an inspirational score. A Cathal Heneghan point was sandwiched between two Reape frees. But Moy Davitts were gaining traction around the middle and Bourke’s second point of the afternoon was followed by a potentially game-changing score in the 36th minute.

Once again, hard running through the heart of the defence did the damage and Reape rolled his effort into the corner of the net to become the first player to breach the Glavey’s rearguard in this year’s championship. Moy Davitts were in front and Glavey’s were wobbling, although Glennon did bring the sides level from a free.

However, Moy Davitts hit some poor wides whereas Glennon caused havoc every time he received possession. Reape landed two scores inside a minute. Glavey’s replied through a fisted effort from Comer and the equaliser from Seán Burke after James Brennan won a vital turnover.

Moy Davitts substitute Liam Byrne and Heneghan exchanged points before Glavey’s made another charge for home with three Glennon frees. Mark Regan and Reape pared the margin back to the minimum. Further drama saw Moy Davitts corner-back Conal Quinn dismissed for an off-the-ball incident with Heneghan but, even down to 14 men, the Mayo side kept coming.

Glavey’s had seemingly lifted the siege with a vital turnover but inexplicably gave away possession. Reape had the chance to level it from a free. Yet Glavey’s lived to tell the tale.

Now they must ensure that they make their momentum count on Sunday week.










MICHAEL GLAVEY’S: D. O’Malley (0-1, a ’45); N. Morris, S. O’Malley, L. Cregg; G. Patterson, C. Hussey (0-2), J. Brennan; C. Fitzmaurice (0-2), J. Finan; Tom Murphy, S. Comer (0-3, two frees), D. Ruane; S. Burke (0-1), A. Glennon (0-8, five frees), C. Heneghan (0-2). Subs used: C. Ruane for Tom Murphy (38 mins), Tiernan Murphy for D. Ruane (44 mins), A. Daly for Finan (45 mins, black card), L. McDermott for Comer (60 mins).


BOHOLA MOY DAVITTS: C. McGlynn; C. Quinn, R. Healy, P. Langan; N. Regan, M. Regan (0-1), S. Mulroy; J. Mulderrig (0-1), P. Ruane (0-1); A. Jordan, S. Kelly, A. Bourke (0-2); O. McHugh, B. Reape (1-8, six frees), B. Heneghan (0-1). Subs used: D. Ruane for N. Regan (half-time), L. Byrne (0-1) for Bourke (44 mins), JP Boyle for McHugh (55 mins).


Wides: Michael Glavey’s – 4; Bohola Moy Davitts – 7.


Yellow Cards: Michael Glavey’s – Heneghan (60 mins); Bohola Moy Davitts – Healy (49 mins).


Black Cards: Michael Glavey’s – Finan (45 mins); Bohola Moy Davitts – none.


Red Cards: Michael Glavey’s – none; Bohola Moy Davitts – Quinn (60 mins).


Referee: B. Judge (Sligo).


Player of the Match: Andrew Glennon (Michael Glavey’s). Apart from his personal tally of 0-8, everything went through the Michael Glavey’s full-forward. He represented a lucrative focal point of the winners’ attack, winning frees and kicking some excellent scores.

Captain Conor Hussey also delivered a huge game for the Roscommon champions, taking responsibility when Glavey’s experienced choppy waters. Cathal Heneghan’s bag of tricks in attack mesmerised the Moy Davitts defence at times.

Caoileann Fitzmaurice also made some big interventions, none more so than the timely interception that denied Moy Davitts a certain goal in the first half. Shane O’Malley and Liam Cregg were solid in the Glavey’s full-back line early on but they endured a sterner examination after the break.

Brian Reape could have done no more for the Mayo champions. Without him, they wouldn’t have been in the position to draw the match near the end. Mark Regan, James Mulderrig, Padraig Ruane and Brian Heneghan also caught the eye.



Comments are closed.

AIB Connacht Club Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final"

More Roscommon Sport

Roscommon dig deep to see off Mayo

McStay request falls on deaf ears