The vast majority of pubs in Roscommon remain shut over the course of this weekend and while most would have expected to reopen on Monday July 20th, or possibly towards the latter part of that week, that has been cast into doubt by comments from an Taoiseach Micheál Martin yesterday.
It is believed that the Cabinet will meet next Wednesday and take a final decision on the matter following input from the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET), but there are mounting fears that Phase Four of the country’s re-opening will be postponed amid concerns about the renewed spread of the Coronavirus.
Micheál Martin said public health officials are “very concerned” about reports of large crowds gathering outside pubs and for house parties following the partial re-opening recently, particularly in light of the fact that the national “R” rate is hovering at around one, meaning that the rate of Covid-19 incidence is not diminishing.
“There is concern about indoor gatherings, and the degree to which those indoor gatherings may be causing an increase in the prevalence of the virus and leading to a spread,” he said.
“We are concerned about that, and we were concerned about the breaches last week. I applaud the gardai, they’ve taken cases, they’ve highlighted certain establishments that were a breach of the law. The gardaí will be out in the boat again this weekend to prevent a reoccurrence of what happened last weekend,” he said.
“This is a very dangerous virus that can damage people’s health for quite a long time. It’s not something to be taken lightly, as we’ve seen in various analysis from the medical world and indeed from people who had the virus.”
“So, it’s extremely important that we try and prevent as many people as possible from getting this virus. And that is why we appeal to the public, really, to adhere to public health advice and behave responsibly in this, we all have a personal responsibility in relation to stopping the spread of this virus,” he said.