Friday, July 09, 2021

Mayo senior football captain Aidan O’Shea lifts the Nestor Cup following his side’s victory against Galway last year. Picture: INPHO/James Crombie

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mayo GAA are confident that Sunday’s Connacht semi-final against Leitrim will take place despite a Covid-19 outbreak among members of the football panel. A statement released on Friday morning said that preparations were “continuing” for the match, according to the Irish Times.

“Mayo GAA are currently working with the HSE on a number of COVID-19 related queries amongst members of the county senior football panel.

“Mayo GAA are following HSE guidelines and our senior team are continuing their preparation for Sunday’s Connacht championship game versus Leitrim.”

A number of players tested positive during the week and the matter is now with the HSE to determine what other panelists might be deemed close contacts.

A Mayo spokesperson said that although the matter was out of the county’s hands, the fixture was “one hundred per cent likely” to go ahead as there was sufficient panel depth to deal with anything that might arise.

Should Mayo win on Sunday as they are overwhelmingly expected to do, the Connacht final against Galway is scheduled for July 25th.

Comments are closed.

More Roscommon Sport