Ireland’s top hairdressers won big yesterday (Sunday 19th September) at the annual IHF Irish Hairdressing Championships. The event, held virtually due to Covid-19 restrictions, featured world-class work from talented hair stylists from all over Ireland.
The annual awards ceremony, hosted by the Irish Hairdressers Federation, is the premiere event in the Irish hairdressing calendar, showcasing the very best of Irish hair stylists. The awards are judged by an expert panel of international and Irish judges.
The big winner on the night was Shannen Hughes, a stylist working in Colour Republic in Athlone, who picked up two awards for Trend Image of the Year (Senior) and Colour Technician of the Year (Senior). Another local hairdresser, Richard Gorman of Richard Michaels Hair Design, Collooney, Co. Sligo was the winner in the Gents Full Fashion category.
Commenting on the awards, Irish Hairdressing Federation President, Danielle Kennedy, said; ‘’This was a highly competitive year and I know the judges had a very hard time in deciding the winners. Once again, the IHF Irish Hairdressing Championships is a celebration of the world class hair stylists we have here in Ireland. Once again, the calibre of the entries and the winners shows that Ireland really punches above its weight when it comes to hairdressing talent.’’
Danielle went on to say; ‘’As with every year, the Championships places a very strong focus on the many highly talented trainees working in our sector. Our trainee winners this year, Orla O’Byrne and Eimear Rutherford, certainly have a very bright future ahead of them. After a very tough eighteen months for hair salons and stylists, its great to be back celebrating the best our industry has to offer.’’
The Irish Hairdressers Federation is the trade association for Irish hairdressers and represents over 500 salon owners nationwide, who in turn employ over 7,000 stylists.
Full List of Winners:
- Commercial Trend Image (Senior) – Amanda Hogan, Ross Adams Hair Salon, Tallaght, Dublin 24
- Trend Image of the Year (Senior) – Shannen Hughes, Colour Republic Barrack St, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
- Trend Image of the Year (Trainee) – Orla O’Byrne, House Of Colour, Abbey Street, Dublin 1
- Colour Technician of the Year (Senior) – Shannen Hughes, Colour Republic, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
- Photographic Collection (Editorial Team/ Individual) – Aoife O’Toole, Vanilla Hair Design, Tullow, Co Carlow
- Gents Full Fashion – Richard Gorman, Richard Michaels Hair Design, Collooney, Co. Sligo
- Newcomer of the Year (Trainee) – Eimear Rutherford, Frame Creative Hair Design, Skerries, Co. Dublin